Understanding the Definition of Mindfulness: Part 2

In the previous post, I mentioned that mindfulness, or at least the version of mindfulness taught by Jon Kabat-Zinn, involves paying attention in the following three ways. 

1. On purpose

2. In the present moment

3. Nonjudgementally

The main topic of the previous post was paying attention on purpose. The main topic of this post is paying attention in the present moment. 

To start off, I want to say that I actually think it's only possible to pay attention in the present moment. I don't think it's possible to pay attention in the past or to pay attention in the future, since the past and the future don't exist. Therefore, the phrase "in the present moment" might seem redundant.

That said, I still think this part of the definition is valuable, because even if paying attention always means paying attention in the present moment, it can be helpful to be reminded of this fact, and also to think about why being in the present moment is important. That's what I really want to discuss in this post. In the previous post I explained what it means to pay attention on purpose, and in the next post I'll explain what it means to pay attention nonjudgmentally.  In this post, I don't want to explain what it means to be in the present moment, but rather why it is important to be in the present moment. Everyone has experiences of being in the present moment, but not everyone understands why such experiences are important and should be maintained.

As a starting point for understanding why being in the present moment is important, I strongly recommend reading this article by Frater Acher. Please do that before continuing on with the rest of this post. I'll wait...

Alright, hopefully you read the article. Now let's think about a big question - "Why did we incarnate?" Isn't it vital that we answer this question? If, at the end of my life, I find I've done what I incarnated to do, then my life will not have been wasted. But if I find that I haven't done what I incarnated to do, then my life will have been wasted. So why did I incarnate? Why did you incarnate? Why did anyone incarnate? 

If you've read the article by Frater Acher (and seriously, please do if you haven't), then you already know the answer to this question. What Frater Acher explains is that the reason we incarnate is to experience life in the best way. And of course life can only be experienced in the present moment. That's why it's so important to be in the present moment, to be mindful. You can't experience life in the best way if you aren't experiencing it at all.

Many people get into occultism because they want certain things. They want the ability to use spells, talismans, rituals, and other occult tools and techniques to obtain money, a girlfriend, a good career, etc. But, from Frater Acher's perspective (and I do think this is a useful and insightful perspective), we didn't incarnate in order to obtain money, a girlfriend, a good career, or whatever else we're trying to obtain via various occult techniques. We incarnated in order to experience life in the best way. So let's start by experiencing life. Let's be mindful. Let's remain always in the present moment. 

Just because you are experiencing life doesn't mean you are experiencing it in the best way. Part of experiencing life in the best way is experiencing life with a nonjudgmental attitude (note Frater Acher's use of this word in his article). But that's a topic to be discussed in the next post.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I came across your blog from the "Virgil - Esoteric Author" site.

    I'm an aspiring Bardonist who first began getting into this path back in January 2023. At the outset of my practice, I was definitely one of the typical Bardonists you refer to in a lot of your writings -- stuck on Step I, ignoring present-mindedness, endlessly distracted by shiny things like Kabbalah, etc. Skipping ahead to exercises I'm not ready for. These days I'm a regular reader of your books, and am trying to adopt a stricter mindset towards equilibrium and sequencing of exercises.

    I mainly want to thank you in as direct a way I can for your writings and the impact they've had on my practice. "Spirit of Magic", "Elemental Equilibrium", and "Gift to be Simple" have all been so helpful in learning to better integrate and master the elements of the six-pronged attack into my soul mirror work. I also feel I understand the foundational importance and role of present-mindedness in magic so much more thanks to your work.

    I'd also like to thank you for all your book recommendations from other authors. Instead of wandering down unrelated Kabbalistic and Golden Dawn-esque writings, you've really helped me understand why more foundational literature from Jon Kabat-Zinn, Eckhart Tolle, and Emile Coue are more applicable to my current phase of training and life in general. Very much appreciate your work having introduced me to these authors.

    I read this article and it feels timely at what is a very difficult time in my practice as I try to master present-mindedness and finally close out Step I. There is constant internal conflict in this work and a persistent nagging temptation to tamper with the elemental work in Step III, knowing that I haven't really achieved elemental equilibrium and that I'm not ready. It's as if every time I feel I've moved past anger or vindictiveness, Divine Providence finds a way to remind me that I have more work to do. At times, it is hard to keep going because there is the question of, will this ever end... will I ever achieve the equilibrium in this life?

    There is always the almost greed-fueled desire to want more, to feel as though I should be further long. Equal parts guilt and entitlement.

    In a rational sense I know each day brings progress and evolution. But it's slow, hard work. In this way I'm beginning learn the importance of faith itself. Now beginning to get into your books on prayer, I'm also coming to understand that this work is near-impossible without "getting right with God", becoming comfortable with the idea of prayer and faith. So... thank you as well for your guidance towards faith itself.

    All in all, your writings have had a really positive impact on my life, Bardon work notwithstanding. So again, thank you.

    I also read in your more recent "Built Different" book that you're a fellow Philadelphian! I live around Manayunk myself. It would be awesome to correspond further with a fellow local Bardonist if you're open to it?

    In any case, thanks again, and God bless 🙏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding the Definition of Mindfulness: Part 1

Mindfulness is Simple and Complicated