Mindfulness is Simple and Complicated

As the title of this post says, mindfulness is simultaneously simple and complicated. When I say that mindfulness is complicated, what I mean is that there is a lot to the subject in terms of practice, theory, and philosophy. Whole books can be written about the practice of mindfulness, and whole books can be written about the theoretical and philosophical aspects of mindfulness too. When I say that books can be written about these various aspects of mindfulness, I don't mean short pamphlet-sized books. I still remember when I first downloaded the eBook version of Jon Kabat-Zinn's Full Catastrophe Living, which is a very famous book on mindfulness. I was amazed by how many pages it had. I've never owned a physical copy of that book so I don't know how many pages the physical version has, but the eBook version I bought had over 4,000 pages. Wow! Most eBooks I read have between 1,000 and 2,000 pages. But even a 4,000 page eBook isn't enough to teach everything there is to know about mindfulness. These days, you can go further than just learning through books and get actual university degrees in mindfulness. Lesley University offers a master's degree program in mindfulness studies. A few other universities do too. Even if you don't want to spend years getting a degree in mindfulness, there are still shorter courses you can take that only last several weeks rather than two or three years. From all this, I'm sure you can see why I say that mindfulness is complicated. I consider myself semi-obsessed with the subject of mindfulness, but I haven't come close to reading every book on mindfulness out there or taking every course on mindfulness out there. There are just too many. I think it's important to remember that mindfulness is complicated, because that way we'll never think we know everything about it. We'll realize that there is always more to learn, more to explore, and more to understand. One reason I started this blog was to explore the subject of mindfulness. Since the subject is complicated, I will never run out of mindfulness-related things to write about. It's just a matter of making time to write (and yes I know I'm bad at that).

While mindfulness is complicated, it is simultaneously simple. I think that's also important to remember. If you just think of mindfulness as being complicated, you may end up never practicing mindfulness. You may think "It's too complicated for me to understand, and how can I practice it if I don't understand it? I first need to take a bunch of courses and read a bunch of books before I can practice mindfulness." But that's not the right way to think, because the basic practice of mindfulness is really simple. All you do is remain mindful of something. Mindful of what? Most people default to being mindful of their breathing. As you inhale, be aware of your breath as it enters you. As you exhale, be aware of your breath as it leaves you. Don't make the mistake of trying to control your breathing. If your inhale is short, just be aware that it is short. If your exhale is long, just be aware that it is long. If you notice your breathing is tense in any way, you can try to relax it. That's fine. But don't try to breathe according to a certain rhythm or anything like that. This isn't pranayama. We let our breath do its thing, and we simply remain mindful/aware of it as it does its thing. This is a very simple, straightforward, and easy practice. I do it at work. Regardless of whether I am creating pivot tables in Microsoft Excel, sitting in a meeting, or writing a Python script, I remain mindful of my breathing as I do it. Whenever I get confused while reading some of the denser mindfulness-related texts out there that cover more advanced mindfulness-related concepts and teachings, this is the basic practice I return to. If I've taken a break from studying mindfulness and don't remember much, all is good as long as I remember this basic practice of being mindful of my breathing. As long as I can do that, I gain the benefits that come with being mindful and thus make progress. As for the stuff I've forgotten, I can relearn that later.

Comments

  1. Very excited for this new blog. Mindfulness is always an enjoyable and fascinating topic to "indulge" in. I can sense this new blog will be a beginning to a very good resource for mindfulness.

    Also what's Rosapañña mean and how does it relate to mindfulness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. Sorry for the delayed reply. Thanks for your support!

      Rosapañña is just a name I came up with by combining the Latin word for rose (rosa) with the Pali word for wisdom (pañña). It doesn't really relate specifically to mindfulness. Roses are just a flower that are meaningful to me and rich in esoteric symbolism, and wisdom is something I value highly and mention a lot in my writings.

      Delete
    2. No problem. I like that a lot! Roses and Wisdom together to form that name. It reminds me a lot of our Blessed Mary being the Seat of Wisdom.

      Could you go into a bit of the esoteric symbolism of Roses? They keep reminding me of Mary every time they come up, and after your comment, It's practically in the name for the Rosary.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, so the rose is a symbol that appears in pretty much every spiritual tradition. For me personally, I'd say the following symbolic meanings and associations are most significant.

      1. Association with Mary and the Rosary, as you've mentioned.

      2. Association with Saint Rita of Cascia. There's a story about her causing roses to bloom out of season. Rita is the patron saint of impossible causes. I think of an "impossible" cause as a cause that can only be helped using magic, so being a magician is sort of like being a patron saint of impossible causes.

      3. Association with the heart center. The rose in the Rose Cross symbol of the Rosicrucians represents an open and loving heart. Bardon was a member of a Rosicrucian organization, and he emphasizes the importance of love in the epilogue of IIH.

      4. The rose is a symbol of the Holy Grail. For some Bardonists, the journey through IIH can be viewed as a quest for the Holy Grail. My moon sign is Pisces (which is associated with the grail legend), so perhaps it is unsurprising that I am one of those Bardonists.

      5. The rose in my pfp is red, but I've always liked the symbolism of blue roses. They symbolize miracles. For me, high magic is the art of working miracles.

      Delete
    4. Thank you for your responses. I wonder if Saint Rita of Cascia ever grew blue roses. I find miracles and the impossible similar.

      I might be going a stretch, but I'm trying to being roses back to mindfulness for the blogs sake lol. In your point 3, the rose represents an open and loving heart. I wonder if that is a requirement for a higher quality of mindfulness? Because a normal level of mindfulness I can imagine is obtainable by anyone. I heard a good description of the trait of Patience that resonated the other day: "The willingness to be present". And I find that willingness could be interchanged with "an open and loving heart." So Patience could be described similarly as: " Having an open and loving heart to be present." In this case, roses could be seen as being present - mindful.

      I think that for me willingness feels the same as what an open heart feels like. But I'm not sure if this is everyone's experience or if mine will change over time.

      Delete
    5. Regarding a pure heart and mindfulness, yes, those are related. The cultivation of mindfulness is an important part of many Buddhist traditions, yet there is a reason that brahmavihara practice is also emphasized in these same traditions. This is because brahmavihara practice helps to purify the heart. The heart and mind are related. In Buddhism they're referred to collectively using one word - "manas." So a purified heart leads to a more purified mind as well, and that means a mind where there are no defilements that can prevent the lamp of awareness from shining.

      Yes, patience is extremely important. One of the most important mindfulness-related insights I gained came from the chapter on patience in Jon Kabat-Zinn's book Wherever You Go, There You Are. In that chapter, he writes "If you cultivate patience, you almost can’t help cultivating mindfulness, and your meditation practice will gradually become richer and more mature." That's pretty important to know. It's why I always encourage Bardonists serious about mindfulness to impregnate their food/air with patience while practicing conscious eating/breathing

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding the Definition of Mindfulness: Part 2

Understanding the Definition of Mindfulness: Part 1